Monday, May 19, 2014

Holy Land Holy People Day 3

Ahmad, my host, led Jordan Schriefer and I through Ramallah and Jerusalem this morning as we returned from our home stay. He guided us through the adventure that is Palestinian public transportation, pointing out all the sights on the way. 

Entering Jerusalem, we went through a checkpoint for the first time. We had to put our things through a sensor, show our IDs to Israeli soldiers touting big machine guns, and pass through two security gates. After reading about the horror stories that happen to some people at checkpoints, I was relieved we didn’t run into trouble. Still, I can only imagine how troublesome and demoralizing it must be going through such an experience on a regular basis. I’m reminded again of my rock – patience. I admire the living stones that are the Palestinians living in an occupied land.

Because of the checkpoint and excessive traffic, we arrived late to worship at Christmas Lutheran Church. Though I missed most of the service, I was touched by the ecumenical nature of the gathering, which included Virginia Mennonites, Carolina Presbyterians, and local Palestinian Lutherans. I felt the catholic nature of the body of Christ as everyone present read and sang along to Arabic responses and songs.

After lunch, the group traveled to the Shepherds’ Field and the Church of the Nativity. Seeing these places was surreal. It’s still hard to believe we’re actually in the Holy Land!

Gloria Church on top of Shepard's Fields

Shepard's Fields                                       


Not all who venture here to the Holy Land are educated about the reality of life here. Will Henderson shared with us that he overheard a Brazilian tour guide describe a settlement as built on “land donated by the Palestinians.” I marvel at the ignorance that abounds worldwide, but humbly so, recognizing that I too formed part of those ranks not too long ago. I also find it strange that a land lauded by the world as holy can be plagued with such injustice. Figuring out how I can help to fix these problems is a big task, but I’m figuring it out a little more each day that we’re here.
Church of the Nativity                              


At devotions before dinner, Carla made an excellent point about community and embracing the “other.” She urged us to connect with not only our team, but to everyone we meet on this journey, sharing in their vulnerability. This is something I have already begun to do, seeing the horrors that the Palestinians endure day after day. I am inspired by their hopefulness. They hope and expect to see peaceful coexistence in the future. 


I do, too.


Dustin Saunders

No comments:

Post a Comment